News you can use for the 4th of July
Meant only to inform and keep you safe
|Jun 30, 2020||2|
In an effort to keep us all safe, The Norwich Police department is reaching out to the community with some useful safety information regarding fireworks. In my opinion, this is another reason why community policing works in Norwich. Stay safe out there, and enjoy the holiday.
The Norwich Police Department would like to wish everyone a happy and safe 4th of July.
A few safety reminders for this holiday:
- Never let children handle, play with or light any fireworks.
- Store fireworks in a cool, dry place.
- Always purchase your fireworks from reliable, licensed fireworks dealers.
- Use in a clear, open area. Keep audience a safe distance away from the shooting site.
- Safety glasses are recommended for those individuals lighting the fireworks or those in close proximity to the fireworks.
- Do not alter any fireworks device or make your own fireworks.
- Light only one firework at a time.
- Never attempt to re-light, alter or fix any "dud" firework item.
- Never aim, point or throw fireworks at another person.
- Use fireworks outdoors, never indoors.
- Read and follow all warnings and instructions.
- Only light fireworks on a smooth, flat surface away from the house, dry leaves and flammable materials.
- In case of a malfunction or fire, keep a bucket of water or garden hose handy in case of fire or mishap.
In Vermont all fireworks (not including Sparklers and other novelty smoke devices) are illegal except for permitted, supervised public fireworks displays.
Sparklers less than 14 inches long with no more than 20 grams of pyrotechnic mixture and novelty sparkling items limited to snakes, party poppers, glow worms, smoke devices, string poppers, snappers, or drop pops with no more than 0.25 grains of explosive mixture, that are in compliance with US Consumer Product Safety Commission regulations, are legal for sale and use in Vermont.
A permit for display is required by the Chief of police and fire departments of the municipality in which the display is to be held. The use, possession, sale and distribution of fireworks is legal only after the permit is granted. Applications for a permit must be made at least 15 days in advance of the fireworks display.
Stay safe and enjoy the holiday.